Plant Production and Protection Officer
Issued on: 10 November 2014
Deadline For Application: 8 December 2014
The Regional Office for Africa (RAF) is responsible for leading FAO’s response to regional priorities for food security, agriculture and rural development through the identification, planning and implementation of FAO’s priority activities in the region. It ensures a multidisciplinary approach to programmes, identifies priority areas of action for the Organization in the Region and, in collaboration with departments and divisions at Headquarters, develops, promotes and oversees FAO’s strategic response to regional priorities. RAF also advises on the incorporation of regional priorities into the Organization’s Programme of Work and Budget and implements approved programmes and projects in the region, monitors the level of programme implementation and draws attention to problems and deficiencies. RAF develops and maintains relations with region-wide institutions including the Regional Economic Integration Organizations (REIOs).
The Regional Office supports regional policy dialogue on food security, agriculture and rural development issues, facilitates the emergence of regional partnerships, and supports capacity development and resource mobilization for food security, agriculture and rural development in the region.
The post is located in the Technical Officers Group RAFT, within the West Africa Team, with duty station in Accra, Ghana.
The Plant Production and Protection Officer reports to the Senior Forestry Officer, RAFT, Team Leader of the West Africa Team.
Develop integrated crop development programs that respond to Africa regional priorities and promote the principles of “Save and Grow” for achieving Sustainable Crop Production Intensification (SCPI) within the CAADP framework with emphasis on increasing resources use efficiency for increased ecosystem stability in national and sub-regional programs in the West Africa sub-region.
Comprehensive technical, statistical, analytical and/or policy analysis services and the development of specialized tools, methodologies, systems and/or databases to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of the programme of work and related products, projects, publications, and services
- Plans and leads components of multi-disciplinary teams, leads and/or participates in internal committees, project teams, and working groups and/or provides specialized expertise on technical networks and/or international technical policy and/or international technical policy and standard setting bodies;
- Develops technical, analytical, monitoring and reporting frameworks, and related methodologies, tools, systems and databases etc. to support the planning, implementation/delivery and monitoring of programmes of work, projects, products and/or services;
- Designs and conducts research, data collection, validation, analysis and/or reporting activities to support the development of technical standards, international instruments, innovative approaches and strategies, new tools, technologies, technical reports/publications, and/or policy proposals as well as the provision of technical/policy/ specialist/advice and expertise;
- Responds to country requests for technical and policy assistance, provides technical advice, assistance and solutions to Decentralized Offices and provides technical backstopping to field projects;
- Collaborates in, provides technical backstopping to and ensures the quality / effectiveness of capacity development and knowledge sharing activities within member countries such as policy support, organizational development and individual learning events including preparation of related information, learning materials, on-line tools;
- Promotes international cooperation/advocates best practices, increased policy dialogue and provides technical expertise at international/intergovernmental meetings;
- Participates in resource mobilization activities in accordance with the FAO Corporate strategy.
- Identifies, formulates, implements, monitors and evaluates projects and programmes in West Africa related to crop production and protection;
- Participates in the development and implementation of relevant policies in West Africa at country and sub-regional levels;
- Collaboratesin the establishment, implementation and follow-up of collaborative partnerships with other agencies and relevant institutions in West Africa with responsibilities in the area of Sustainable Crop Production Intensification (i.e. Conservation Agriculture (CA); Climate Smart Agriculture, (CSA), Seed Systems, Pesticide Risk Reduction and Farmer-Led Extension Approaches), like ECOWAS and other RECs, CGIAR centers relevant to Crop programmes in Africa with particular focus on IITA;
- Contributes to the development of strong seed systems in Africa working actively with the Headquarter seeds unit and the Africa Seeds network with particular attention to the needs in West Africa;
- Organizesand deliverscapacity building activities in the areas of plant production and protection;
- Provides technical support to the statutory bodies and international agreements of relevance to plant production and protection in West Africa.
CANDIDATES WILL BE ASSESSED AGAINST THE FOLLOWING
- Advanced University degree in Agriculture, Agronomy, Crop Production and Protection, Plant Sciences or related field
- Seven years of relevant experience in crop production, crop protection or pesticide management in the field, preferably including experience on main crops in West Africa
- Working knowledge of English and French
- Results Focus
- Building Effective Relationships
- Knowledge Sharing and Continuous Improvement
- Work experience in more than one location or area of work, particularly in field positions is desirable and field experience at both national and regional levels in sub-Saharan Africa, particularly West Africa would be an asset.
- Extent and relevance of international experience and expertise in plant production and protection, particularly in West Africa.
- Extent of experience in providing policy advice at local, national, and sub-regional levels.
- Extent and relevance of experience in project/programme formulation, implementation and monitoring in plant production and protection, particularly in West Africa.
- Ability to lead collaborative work within organizations and in partnership with external actors, and supervise work of others.
- Ability to organize and conduct technical meetings, conferences and workshops.
- Ability to mobilize resources.
- Excellent communication skills in English and French are considered a strong asset.
Read More: www.fao.org/fileadmin/user_upload/VA/pdf/IRC2653e.pdf